Hufton + Crow
The New Porcelain Courtyard at the Victoria and Albert Museum
By Hideaway Report Editor
September 15, 2017
London’s Victoria and Albert Museum was founded in 1852 and is the world’s largest museum of decorative arts and design. Since 2001, the museum has embarked on a $195 million renovation program. The latest extension opened in June. Some 800,000 cubic feet of earth was excavated to make way for a new subterranean gallery and the courtyard above it.
The spectacular Sackler Courtyard, designed by British architect Amanda Levete, is paved with 11,000 handmade porcelain tiles in 15 different patterns. The tiles were manufactured by Koninklijke Tichelaar Makkum, the Netherlands’ oldest registered company, established in 1572.